This Report is primarily intended to inform and support preparations for the IMRF, as well as serve as a useful resource for post-IMRF implementation efforts in the region. This Report summarises the results of a mapping of the use of immigration detention and alternatives to immigration detention (ATD) in 19 countries across the five subregions in the Asia-Pacific region. The 19 countries covered by this Report are as follows:
- East and North-East Asia - Hong Kong SAR China, Japan, Republic of Korea
- South-East Asia - Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand
- South and South-West Asia - Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Pakistan, Turkey
- North and Central Asia - Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, and Tajikistan
- Pacific - Australia, New Zealand
This publication is the product of collaboration among the members of the Alternatives to Detention Thematic Workstream of the Regional UN Network on Migration for Asia and the Pacific, and the Alternatives to Detention Working Group of the UN Network on Migration.