During the first-ever UN International Migration Review Forum (IMRF), the Mayors Mechanism, in partnership with UNHCR, launched a Call to Local Action for Migrants and Refugees and issued this report on Localization of the Global Compacts to capture the continued political commitment and vast practical experience of local and regional governments to meet or exceed the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) and Global Compact for Safe, Regular and Orderly Migration (or Global Compact for Migration, GCM).
This inaugural report showcases actions from local governments and organizations that contribute to the GCR and GCM and provides an overview of:
- What the Call to Local Action for Migrants and Refugees is and how LRGs can join
- How the Call to Local Action for Migrants and Refugees meets the GCM, GCR, and SDGs
- LRGs’ progress building more inclusive multilateral governance of migration and forced displacement.
- LRG submissions to the Call to Local Action for Migrants and Refugees
- Recommendations for the future
The Call to Local Action for Migrants and Refugees is an ongoing and iterative program of the Mayors Mechanism and its partners, following the model of robust local efforts to Localize the SDGs and achieve the Paris Agreement.
A next report will be produced in advance of the next national government review of the GCR — the 2023 Global Refugee Forum.