The Network Coordinator is the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The Director General of IOM or her designee serves in this capacity. The Network Coordinator has primary responsibility for:
- Fostering collaboration and consensus among Network members in all aspects of its functioning and work, and ensuring effective collaboration with existing coordination mechanisms and stakeholders;
- Working with Network members to identify priorities and opportunities for action by the Network, focusing on the added value of coordinated work;
- Convening and ensuring the smooth functioning of the Network, including the capacity building mechanism;
- Facilitating regular interaction between the Principals of the Executive Committee.
- Briefing the UN system, Member States and other stakeholders on the activities of the Network;
- Proactively identifying funding opportunities for Network operations, with the support of the Executive Committee;
- Maintaining an effective Secretariat in support of the Network.
Ms. Amy Pope, Coordinator of the UN Network on Migration
Ms. Amy E. Pope of the United States of America has begun her five-year term as the 11th Director General of the International Organization for Migration and Coordinator of the UN Network on Migration on 1 October 2023. She is the first woman Director General of IOM.
Prior to joining IOM, DG Pope served as the Senior Advisor on Migration to President Biden in 2021; Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Homeland Security Advisor from 2015-2017, and as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director on Transborder Security from 2013-2015.
DG Pope firmly believes that engagement with all stakeholders, including Members States, private sector, civil society organizations, and the migrants themselves is key to harnessing the power of migration.
DG Pope graduated magna cum laude from the Duke University School of Law with a Juris Doctor and has a BA in Political Science (with Honors) from the Haverford College in Pennsylvania. She is married and has two daughters.
23rd November 2023, Coordiantor's Briefing to Member States
Past Briefings 2019 - 2023
Coordinator's Briefing - 14 March 2023
Coordinator's remarks (recording)
Coordinator's Briefing - 15 September 2022
The Coordinator's Briefing
The Coordinator's Briefing - 19 October 2021
Recording of the Briefing
The Coordinator's Briefing - 24 June 2021
Recording of the Briefing
The Coordinator's Briefing - 18 March 2021
Member State Interventions
Recording of the Coordinator's Briefing 18 March 2021
Briefing to Member States, Geneva 12 December 2019
GFMD Summit 2021, Geneva 26 January 2021
joint_letter_to_rcs_-_imrf.pdf (189.55 KB)