Global Compact for Migration: Follow-Up and Review
In resolution 73/195, the General Assembly:
- committed to implementing the Global Compact at the national, regional and global levels in cooperation with all relevant stakeholders (para 41 and 44).
- welcomed the establishment of the UN Network on migration to ensure effective and coherent system-wide support for implementation as well as follow-up and review of the GCM (para 45).
With regard to the follow-up and review of the GCM (para 48 to 54), the General Assembly:
- created the International Migration Review Forum (IMRF), which will take place every four years, beginning in 2022, to serve as the primary global platform to discuss and share progress on the implementation of all aspects of the Global Compact, including as it relates to the 2030 Agenda, and with the participation of all relevant stakeholders.
- invited relevant sub-regional, regional and cross-regional processes, platforms and organizations, including the UN regional economic commissions and regional consultative processes on migration, to review the implementation of the GCM, beginning in 2020, in order to inform each edition of the IMRF, with the participation of all relevant stakeholders.
- encouraged all Member States to develop ambitious national responses for the implementation of the GCM, and to conduct regular and inclusive reviews of progress at the national level, such as through the voluntary elaboration and use of a national implementation plan, drawing on contributions from all relevant stakeholders.
The Role of the UN Network
In resolution 73/326, the General Assembly:
- requested the Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), as Coordinator of the UN Network on Migration, to assist, upon the request of Member States, in the preparation and organization of regional reviews of the implementation of the GCM (para 9).
- requested the UN Network to collect all inputs received from local, national, regional and global levels and to make those available on a website of the global knowledge platform (para 13)